Adventures in the Middle East

Friday, December 07, 2007

Last weekend I went to Yemen with one of my friends from work. Yemen has the unfortunate reputation as one of the places that you have to be a little crazy to travel to. While my going there certainly does nothing to disprove this, there were never any times on the trip where I felt unsafe and the people were nothing but friendly.

Sana’a is the capital of Yemen and is one of the oldest cities in Arabia. The old city is comprised of many old multi-story mud houses that date back to the 11th century. As you can see in the photo the city is adapting to the 21st century with satellite dishes and taxis (note the absolute traffic chaos).
Me with our guide Abdul Aziz by the gate to the old city. In Yemen almost all of the men wear their traditional daggers called Jambias. About the only place that I ever saw anyone not allowed to wear one was in the airport.
The terrain of Yemen is incredible, steep mountains and deep valleys made for lots of long winding trips in from one town to another.

Ok, so Yemen still is a little crazy I guess. This is my friend from work making friends with rural Yemeni’s and being shown how to load and fire an AK-47. Good times.The rest of my photos can be found at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=5p42e5n.c8xckclz&x=0&y=-dl283w








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home